Simple Things
NPR describes its popular series, This I Believe, as "an international project engaging people in writing, sharing, and discussing the core values that guide their daily lives."Singing: The Key To A Long Life (11/23/08) - British composer and activist Brian Eno talks about the joy of singing, a subject taken up as well by Eunice ("Make a Joyful Noise") and Paige ("Singing, My Anti-Drug"), both in written form only. More pieces on singing here.
Dancing All the Dances As Long As I Can - Best-selling author Robert Fulgrum expounds on his joy of dancing, a subject found in the written pieces, Dancing Is Dreaming with My Feet. More dancing pieces here.
Walking Across the Grand Canyon (6/13/2008) - Radio producer Scott Carrier describes a walk in the desert with his son. From the This I Believe series comes two written pieces, I Believe in Walking and I Believe in Hiking.
Musings
- Which one or two pieces from those listed above, or from any of the hundreds collected at the This I Believe, site do you find most engaging, and why?
- Why do you think so many of people focus on life's simple things in discussing their core beliefs? What simple activity would you focus on if you were to write your own "This I Believe" essay?
- Much of the pleasure from simple things often comes from following a prescribed regiment, a set of rules for doing something the right way. Describe your own pleasurable or enriching experience doing something simple that entails its own set of rules.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home